Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack has announced the names of members of the new Fruit and Vegetable Industry Advisory Committee.
The 25 members were selected from individuals nominated by their peers. Committee members represent fresh fruit and vegetable growers/shippers, fresh fruit and vegetable wholesalers, retailers, industry trade associations, importers, fruit and vegetable processors, foodservice suppliers, fresh-cut processors, brokers and state departments of agriculture. Each member is appointed to a two-year term.
Originally chartered in 2001, the advisory committee advises the Secretary of Agriculture on issues affecting the fruit and vegetable industry.
In May 2009, USDA approved a new two-year charter for this committee.
In the coming weeks, USDA will schedule the committee's first meeting for 2010 in the Washington, D.C. area. More information about the meeting will be published in the Federal Register and at http://www.ams.usda.gov/fv. Information can also be obtained by contacting mailto:[email protected] or calling (202) 720-4722.
The Federal Advisory Committee Act of 1972 provides for the establishment and operation of advisory committees within the executive branch of the federal government.
USDA's Fruit and Vegetable Industry Advisory Committee Members, 2009-2010:
• Andrea Caroe, EarthClaims, LLC, California.
• Lorna Christie, Produce Marketing Association, Delaware.
• Jeremy Gillam, Gillam Farms, Arkansas.
• Alan Hardison, Jacobs Farm/Del Cabo, California.
• Michael Hollister, Driscoll Strawberry Associates, California.
• Edwin Kee, DE Department of Agriculture, Delaware.
• Beth Ann Knorr, Countrywide Conservancy, Ohio.
• Vaughn Koligian, Sun-Maid Growers of California, California.
• Tom Lovelace, McEntire Produce, South Carolina.
• Lisa McNeece, Grimmway Enterprises, Inc. California.
• Guy Moore, Larriland Farms, Maryland.
• Paul Newman, First Fruits Marketing, Washington.
• Robert Nolan, Deer Run Farms, LLC, New York.
• Dianne Nury, Vie-Del Company, California.
• Michael O'Brien, Schnuck Markets, Missouri.
• Russell Poore, Poore's Nursery and Farm, Kentucky.
• Howard Popoola, Topco, Inc.,Illinois.
• Brent Roggie, National Grape Coop Association, New York.
• William "Gee" Roe III, W.G. Roe & Sons, Inc., Florida.
• William Smittcamp, Wawona Frozen Foods, California.
• J. Allen Swann, Swann Farms, Maryland.
• Maureen Torrey, Torrey Farms, New York.
• Oscar Vizcarra, Becker Farms, New York.
• Jennifer "Jin Ju" Wilder, Coast Produce, California,
• Rebecca Wilson, Tom Lange Company, Illinois.