The annual Northeast Ag Expo Field Day will be held in Shawboro, N.C., on Aug. 3, featuring well-known ag futurist and meterologist Elwynn Taylor.
A training program for Extension agents and crop advisors will be held on Aug. 2, in conjunction with the field day.
The Northeast Ag Expo Field Day is conducted annually through the joint efforts of producers, agribusinesses, North Carolina State University, commodity groups, and the North Carolina Cooperative Extension centers in Camden, Chowan, Currituck, Gates, Pasquotank, and Perquimans counties in northeastern North Carolina.
Attendees will see the latest research on corn and other grain crops and hear presentations by state, regional and national agriculture experts.
Keynote speaker for the 2007 event is Iowa State University Professor, Elwynn Taylor. His vision of megatrends in technology, climate and society have been presented to audiences worldwide. During the field day, Taylor will share his tropical storm and crop weather outlook for 2007 and 2008.
The Field Day begins with registration and breakfast at 7:30 a.m. on Aug. 3, followed by Taylor’s remarks. A tour of field plots and presentation by agricultural leaders from the state and region will follow.
Included among the tour stops are:
• Foliar Fungicide Treatments in Field Corn, Steve Koenning, Extension, plant pathologist, North Carolina State University
• Corn Stalk and Root Development Response to Placement of Fertilizer Materials, Ron Heiniger, Extension corn specialist, North Carolina State University
• Tillage and Water Quality, Allen Meijer, Extension tillage specialist, North Carolina State University
• Sidedress Nitrogen Management for No-till Corn, Carl Crozier, Extension soils specialist, North Carolina State University
• Stink Bug Damage in Corn and Wheat, John Van Duyn, Extension entomologist, North Carolina State University
• Organic Field Corn Management, Chris Reberg-Horton, Crop Science Assistant Professor, North Carolina State University:
• Corn Varieties, Tommy Grandy, Extension Agent, Agriculture, North Carolina Cooperative Extension.
Site for the 2007 Expo is Roberts Brothers Inc., located at 169 North Gregory Road in Shawboro, N.C. Currituck County Extension Center is the host for this year’s event.
In conjunction with the Expo is a Crops Training Program to be held on Aug. 2, at the same site as the Expo. The Northeast Ag Expo Crops Training is designed to provide Extension agents, ag consultants, agribusiness sales representatives, and agricultural dealership representatives training on topics not normally covered in most field days. Attendees can get professional credits for the meeting.
For more information concerning the Expo or the Training Program, contact Al Wood by phone at 252-338-0933 or by e-mail at [email protected].
e-mail: [email protected]