The Tenth Annual Virginia Cotton Economics and Production Meeting is scheduled for 10 a.m. Feb. 19, 2009, at the Regional Workforce Development Center, Paul D. Camp Community College in Franklin, Va.
On-site registration is available from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m., but participants who pre-register may take advantage of a half-price fee.
Organized by the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS), Virginia Cotton Growers Association, Virginia Cotton Board, Virginia Cooperative Extension (VCE) and the Virginia Farm Bureau Federation, this event includes an economics and production meeting as well as the annual meetings of the Virginia Cotton Growers Association and the Virginia Boll Weevil Eradication Foundation.
The Cotton Economics meeting will take place in the morning, followed by lunch for all paid attendees. The 2009 Annual Statewide Cotton Production Meeting will take place in the afternoon. Pesticide re-certification credits may be applied for those participating in the afternoon production sessions.
Topics and speakers include:
• Don Shurley, cotton Extension economist for the University of Georgia: The Cotton Marketing Situation and Outlook for 2009.
• David Ruppernicker, Southern Cotton Growers: What Does a New Administration Hold for Agriculture?
• Nathan O'Berry, VCE: 2008 Cotton Variety Summary.
• Keith Edminsten and Guy Collins, North Carolina State University: Agronomic Decisions that Produce High Yielding Cotton.
• Ames Herbert, VCE: Sound Approaches to Insect Management in Cotton Production.
• Pat Phipps, VCE: Disease Controls in Cotton Production Focusing on What is Needed.
• Henry Wilson, VCE: Practical Approaches to Weed Management in Cotton Production.
• Robert Christian, VDACS: Legal Responsibilities and Review.
• Doug Edwards, VDACS: Pesticide Handler and Worker Protection Issues.
The registration cost for the meeting is $5 per person in advance or $10 at the door and includes lunch by Bill Ellis Barbecue. Send pre-registrations prior to Feb. 13, 2009 to Virginia Cotton Growers Association, P.O. Box 27552, Richmond, Va. 23261 with checks payable to the VCGA, Inc.
For more information about the meeting, please call 804-290-1153 or 757-569-1100.